Saturday, April 18, 2009

Record Store Day!!!

Today is record store day. For those of us for who which every Saturday is record store day, the public acknowledgement of our obsession is duly noted and quite appreciated. I frequent two record stores. One focuses almost completely on used, mostly 20 years and older records, and some used cd's. The selections good there, as I've found quite a few slabs of black wax worthy of my collectioin there, the prices on some of the more obsure titles seem a little high to me. (A 1980 album by David Allen Coe was $10). The combination of the high prices, with a slightly grumpy proprieter, make my visits to this record shop few and far between.

My main record store of choice, and my destination for record store day is Any Frequency in Monticello, IL. It's a small store in the downtown area and stocks most of the new releases as well as a modest selection of used offerings on cd. I go there mainly for new titles on vinyl. There is always a stack of stuff I'd like, so I have to restrain myself, and my wallet before leaving the store. Monticello is a great little town, so making the trip there every couple of weeks is nothing but a pleasure.

The best thing about the store, and small businesses in general, is the personal attention given to the customer. My wife and I have developed a great friendship with the owner of the store, and we always enjoy catching up while we peruse the stacks of new music. I never have to ask if the store will be stocking newest Bob Dylan release on vinyl, because I know there will already be a copy tucked away (along with any promotional stuff the store got) waiting for me in the back. That's the kind of service that is hard to come by these days. So, if you get the chance, find a a independent record store in your area, and see what they've got. I'm sure you'll find something.

http://www.recordstoreday.com

No comments: