Friday, April 17, 2009

"Feel a Change" Revisited...


...Not long ago I introduced the second new song, I Feel A Change Comin' On, released to the public from Bob Dylan's new album, Together Through Life. I feel I should clarify, because I, in my first encounter with the song, dismissed it as light. Of course, maybe that isn't such poor description, if presented without the insinuation of inferiority to past work. The song is in fact light, in a breezy sort of way. I'm really coming around to the music. The interplay between instruments is wonderful, and the playing sounds effortless.

On first listen the style reminded me very much of Spirit On the Water, from Dylan's last album, Modern Times. It's not that I dislike, Spirit On the Water, but I've always felt that while the song had potential, it was a lacked focus and was probably a shell of what it could be. First of all, in the first few bars of the song, there is what appears to be a wrong note played on the piano, which is mentally distracting, and unlike some other errors in playing on Dylan records, detracts from the enjoyment of the song. The song also goes on too long. At half the playing time, the song would be great, but half way through I start looking for the the next button.

I Feel a Change Comin' On doesn't suffer from such problems. While musically, the two songs are related, Change feels much more alive and current. Even though Dylan is a working within musical forms long since past, this record sounds like today. It's a new interpretation for 2009. I can't wait to hear more. It's less than two weeks now!

No comments: